Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Wearing the Title Proudly "Gramma"

Since this is my first post in nearly three years, I thought I would, of course, write on the joys of being a new Gramma.

Starting when I was a little girl, playing "house" with my baby dolls, I have always loved the idea of being a mother. Loved, loved, loved babies. When I was twelve, my Aunt had her fourth child, Jeremy John. They lived next door to us and all of us girls fought over that baby. When I was old enough, I eagerly passed out fliers, announcing that I was now available to babysit. I'll admit, before having a boyfriend (ahem....John Walls), and spending hours on the phone, I devoted all of my attention to whomever I was watching. I adored a little girl, who was 13 months old when I first starting babysitting for her and her brother. Karen was the picture of cuteness. I would dress her up and play photography studio with her. I still have those pictures today.

Fast forward to Stacy becoming an aunt to the twins. I remember going over to her house and having so much fun holding babies. When my cousin Traci got married and had her first baby, John and I had been dating for a couple of years. I could NOT wait to follow in Traci's footsteps. While all of my friends went away to college, I dreamed of motherhood.

I was twenty one when Joshua John was born. I loved being a mom! Had so much fun with our firstborn. You all know the rest of the story. Then came Matthew Jacob, the fiesty one, Rachel Lynn, our little princess and Alec Michael, our surprise baby.  I had secretly wanted to round out our family with a fourth child and was excited to bring our third son into the world.  I had my hands full. Of love. Oh, some craziness too. But I wouldn't change a single thing. Best memories, raising those four children.

You think that the time will last forever. Or at least a lot longer than it actually does.

And then I blinked.

We now have only two children living at home, both in high school. Rachel will be a senior next year. Alec. Well, let's just say we will have the biggest celebration when that kid graduates. And that is a big WHEN.

Matthew ripped my heart out moved out about six weeks ago and is now beginning the process of following in his brother's footsteps and getting his own home at the tender age of almost twenty.

Josh has been married for almost two years and he and Krista had our first grandchild, Jacob Michael, almost eight months ago.

When they announced that they were expecting, John and I flew over the moon.  More than several times.  As we have aged spent our lives together, his heart has become more like mine when it comes to babies.  Especially in the anticipated arrival of our very own grandchild.  John stated more than once, "No one is going to love that baby more than me."  I beg to differ pal.

I will never forget the experience of being with Krista during her labor.  To say I am blessed is an understatement.  She is such a wonderful daughter in law.  I stepped outside the delivery room when she got closer to actually having him.  And waited.  I was about to become a Gramma!  Any. Second.

John was stuck at work, so I stood outside the door by myself.  With a ton of emotion.  Excitement.  Anticipation.  My cellphone was blowing up with text messages.  Everyone wanted an update.  I could hear the commotion inside the delivery room.  I knew it was getting closer.

And then I heard his cry.  That familiar newborn cry.  He sounded exactly like I remember Josh sounding.  I burst into tears.

After a few minutes, Krista's mother Diane came out to get me.  When I walked into the room, it was the picture of...I can't even describe it.  To see Krista holding my grandson, with Josh's arms wrapped around her and the baby, I was full of emotion.  And then Krista says to me, "He looks just like Josh!"  I almost dropped to the floor.

The past seven and a half months have been extremely joyous.   I have the privilege of working only part-time and spend most of my days off loving and mauling  on little Jacob.  Its truly a time I cherish so much.

When a Gramma looks at her grandchild, she looks through the new set of the most amazing eyes that God has fitted for her.  With love, adoration, pleasure and joy.  It is simply amazing to be a Gramma.

And when little Mr. Jakie Jake can finally say those words (whether its Gramma, Gigi, Goo-Goo or Ga-Ga...), I will once again melt and love him more.  If that's possible.

1 comment:

Paula Mcintosh said...

You are such a wonderful writer. You made me cry cuz I have experienced sooo many of the same emotions. I can't wait for baby #2.