Tuesday, April 16, 2013

This is No Fairy Tale

Every Monday night like clockwork, I pick up my dad and take him to the grocery store.  Its been our routine for the past several years, since he is in poor physical health and doesn't drive anymore.

He lives alone and spends most of his time glued to the television.  He watches his favorite programs along with the news all day long, so he is very up to speed with every newsworthy story. Especially the very awful atrocities that play out daily in our world.

For a short time several years ago, he attended church.  He heard strong preaching of the Word, for the first time in all of his life.  He seemed to grasp it.  Every now and then when trouble comes our way, he will acknowledge that he is praying for whatever the situation is.

When I called to let him know about the passing of my mother-in-law, he choked back tears saying, "I prayed so hard for her."  I truly believe in his heart he did.

But what he doesn't understand is the whole concept of who God really is.

Which got me thinking.

Not many people do.

Last night, for example.  With the tragedy that unfolded at the Boston Marathon yesterday, it was the "hot topic" on the way back to his apartment.

"I don't understand," he said as he shook his head in disgust.

Me neither.

But the Spirit in me rises to remind me that these things are to happen.  We are not to be troubled, but to trust in Him.

Don't get me wrong.  Its troubling.  Extremely troubling.  But not surprising.

Its a reminder that this world is falling farther and farther away from God (troubling).  Its what the scripture says will happen (so its not surprising).

The Word of God is alive and active, never changing.  For then.  For today.  For the future.

In church we just finished up the series, "The Tree".  Pastor took us through the Bible from the Tree of Good and Evil as explained in Genesis, to the exciting last chapters in Revelation.

Exciting? Yes.  Troubling?  Yes.  How can it be both?

Because we know how it ends.  There are troubling times ahead for sure.  So troubling, our human hearts and minds almost can't take it.  But the knowledge of the Word is where the golden treasure is. We cling to the truth of what it says and the fear subsides. Good wins.  And the promises are so beautiful, we cannot truly comprehend it.

But to get there, we must understand some things.

"I don't understand why God doesn't just stomp out all of the evil," my dad continued.

"Its because that is now how he operates," I tried to explain.  "He gives us free will."

I wanted to continue and pray that I will be able to.

But it gave me such an excitement to be able to share some simple truths here.  Ones that people like my dad, simply cannot get a hold of.

I didn't understand either.  Until March 2003.  And since that date, I've dug into the Scriptures.  I am always so hungry for the truth in His Word.

What else is there to turn to?  What else has the power to change peoples lives?  To give you such promises.

This is no fairy tale.

If it were, we would have nothing.  We live.  We die.  Its all for nothing.

But that is a lie.  I hope you don't believe that.

Or worse yet, you believe that by being "good", that you are on your way up.  To the pearly gates. Floating on clouds with the angels.

That is a fairy tale.  One that has been sold time and time again to this world.

My dad stepped out of the Jeep to gather his groceries and changed the subject.  He often does.

Its hard to hear the truth.  Our hearts are so hardened.

I share a lot of Godly things on Facebook.  I almost can't help myself.   In fact, I literally cannot.  I wrestle with the Spirit sometimes about it.  "Are you sure," I'll ask.

There is so much filth out there.  Sexual immorality, drunkenness, filthy language...and on and on.

That is so offensive to our Holy God.  So, when He asks me to share, I share.  So be it.

It probably offends a lot of people. That is exactly what it does to people who do not believe.  It IS offensive.

But when you turn your heart towards Him, all of that changes.  Its life changing.  You can finally understand it.

What I'd like to share with you and my dad is this:

God is Holy.

"exalted or worthy of complete devotion as one perfect in goodness and righteousness"

He is not the 'man upstairs', controlling puppet strings.  He gave us free will.  Free to live and free to choose.  So that when we do choose Him, its with our own hearts.  Our own will.  And He lovingly accepts us as His own.

He is Holy.  I cannot stress that enough.  THAT is key.

We cannot stand before Him and live.  Moses was in his presence.  Read what happened to him.

Its through the shed blood of Christ that we can approach His throne.  He is full of Grace and Mercy and Love.

I want Grace! We need Grace!  I want Mercy! We need Mercy!  I want Love! We need Love!

Here is the truth.  And its hard to swallow.

We are NO different than the people who commit such atrocities, like the one in Boston yesterday.

Have you lied? Who hasn't!

Have you stolen something?

Have you looked upon someone with lust?

Have you hated anyone?

They are all sin against a Holy God.  He counts all of sin the same.

Hate = Murder.  Lust = Adultery.

We are no different.

But the really wicked and evil look a lot worse than we do.  When we think like that, we are lowering God to our standards. That's why its easy for my dad to ask, "Why doesn't God just stomp out evil?"

Well, He would stomp us all out.

There are no worse sins in His book.  Well, there is one.  But that's for a different day.

We will all be judged the same.

Those that are without Christ... Well, you can read it for yourself.

We all have fallen short of the Glory of God (Romans 3:23) and are in need of a Savior.

The Boston bomber(s).  The Taliban.  The Mass Murderers.  The Liberals.  The Conservatives.  And on and on and on.

We are people.  We are sinners.

Here is the good news.

We can be saved.  Redeemed.  And then turn from our sins and walk by faith.

Not give up our sins and then be saved.

We would never in our own self be able to do that.

Its His Word that sheds light onto the darkness.

So that as these atrocities unfold, I am not asking as the world asks, "Why?"

Instead, "Why not?"

We have fallen SO far away.

And its only going to get worse.

Seek Him.  He will be found.

And only then will you have most answers.  Not all.  I don't think we could handle the really, really, really big picture.

But I can tell you this: He IS.









4 comments:

Lynn said...

I am moved beyond what I can tell you at the TRUTH you just spoke on here..never in all my years have I been more proud of the beautiful woman God gave me for a daughter. It is hard in this world to speak the truth..and you are right, you may lose a few along the way...but God will make it right, and that is what matters. So very very pleased at your gift of writing, you used it wisely just now...this needs to be published, and I say that not in pride..it is in reference to getting the true story out there. You made my day...God Bless you..I love you more than words can say!

Shari said...

Awww, thanks mom. You know I love to write. Trying to get back into it more. After pushing "publish" yesterday, I was under attack most of the day about it ..feeling that I should pull it. And I know why. It IS truth and the enemy of our souls doesn't want it out there.

Crown of Beauty said...

Hi Shari
I dropped by your blog and read this beautiful post. Glad to be able to reconnect with you again. Thank you very much for the warm birthday greeting on my blog last month. It's only now that I am able to acknowledge those who posted comments on my last blog entry.

Praying you will continue to help speak nuggets of truth to your dad. Praise God for your courage to stand up for what you believe.

Blessings!
Lidia

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.